Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Thing 24 Control the Info Flow with RSS & Feeder Readers

I have always been afraid of RSS and what it meant. I was unsure of how to use and what to do with it. I have heard a lot of colleagues talking about how they use it and the benefits but I just could never figure it out. This is why I decided to try it out as one of my "things" for this workshop. 

First thing I did was created an account with Feedly. I thought that since it had an app for my smartphone or iPad that it would be beneficial to try this one out. I'm still working on getting the hang of it. It is very different. I"m thinking I need to cut out a few of the topics I selected and get used to just one or two. Right now I feel very overwhelmed with all of the information on the page.  I think that I should drop down to one news item for now until I get the hang of this better. 

It is nice having all the information streamed into one place but it can be overwhelming if you do not have a chance to look at it everyday and you come back to a feed with over 500 pieces of information. 

I was able to add a few blogs about education and makerspaces. 
I also added feeds from the database Opposing Viewpoints about ebooks and STEM education. I felt like these two topics would come in handy for my library. I debated on different topics to choose but ultimately wanted topics that would help me professionally not just because I like the topic. 

I feel that once I get used to using the RSS Feeder that it will become easier for me to find and sift through the information that will most benefit me. I hope to continue searching and finding more RSS feeds to add to my reader. It is important to be able to stay up to date with the ever changing world and now that I know more about RSS and Feed Readers I feel that I will be able to become more prepared with information and knowledge about the ever changing world. I look forward to doing more with this and determining a way in which to make it benefit my library. 

1 comment:

  1. Terrific! Glad you were able to sort out the Opposing Viewpoints feed. And yes, definitely limit how many feeds your add at first, it gets overwhelming otherwise!

    ReplyDelete